Sunday, June 6, 2010

On the Road Again






So we left LA on Tuesday. Wow, today's Sunday already! We have seen soooooo much. Both of us are totally enamored with how amazingly beautiful California is. We drove down the pacific coast hwy last summer, but it was so foggy that we couldn't hardly see the coastline at all. It was a big disappointment. But this time it was so clear and so beautiful. I can't believe this is the U.S.

We stopped in Santa Barbara for lunch, then drove on to camp in Big Sur for the night. Wow, those trees are beautiful-the Redwoods. Very large around the bottom, super tall, and red like my hair :). We got to hike the next morning and see a waterfall and some beautiful views. After leaving there, we made our way to Monterey, Carmel, and Santa Cruz. Monterey is a very cool town. Its a small city but I feel like its a place we would totally fit in. Its not super ritzy, it has a downtown, and lots of outdoor parks. Carmel, on the other hand, is a place that we would not fit in. But oh man is it a sight to see! There must be some kind of architechture code mandatory to live there because all of the houses look like gingerbread houses mixed with a European style. I am not sure what the name of that style is, but its amazingly beautiful, and it all right on the shore! Santa Cruz is much like Monterey, but a little bit more of a young crowd, lots of hippies. I guess we might fit in there best since we would be considered modern day hippies! :)

We camped in a really cool place in the Santa Cruz mountains that night, then made our way to Yosemite the next day. Apparently Yosemite campsites get reserveed within minutes after they open for the season (6 months before the high season). Not knowing this until 2 weeks ago, we were unable to camp in the park, but we found a spot just outside the park that was right next to a beautiful river that we got to enjoy the day we got there. The next morning we got up early to drive into the park and had no idea what we were about to see. We rounded a curve, and there it was. Yosemite Valley. We could not beleive our eyes. Hands down this place was the most amazing place we've ever seen. You are looking at super tall granite rock mountains with waterfalls everywhere falling down into the green valley that has a beautiful river flowing through it. As we drove down, the view changed, but our awe over it did not. Its unbeleiveable from the top as well as the bottom being in the green meadows and tall trees, able to see the waterfalls all around you. Oh man...we only spend about 4 hours in the valley (there are very few places dogs are allowed in the park), but I want to go back one day and spend at least a week there. Its that amazing. Who wants to come with?

Then......later that day we went to the Mariposa forrest to see the giant Sequoya tress. Holy cow, I have seen pictures of these things, but its not the same until you see them in person. And these things are between 1400 and 1800 years old! One of them was the same size as a 747 airplane and or the statue of liberty! The coolest thing to me about being in this forrest was being able to feel the energy of the forrest. It was like you were walking into someone's home...a home that you were welcomed into, but an unfamiliar one. The deeper into the forest we got, the trees got bigger, and the energy I felt became stronger. It felt like I was being held. I don't know any other way to describe it. And the trees were so grand I expected them to start talking to us. It reminded me of The Lord of the Rings tress...wise and loving. That place too is one that I want to spend a lot more time in! :)

The next day we got to see Hetch Hetchy, a very similar sight to the Yosemite Valley, but they made a damn to catch all the water for the waterfalls and there is this huge beautiful lake in the middle of all the granite mountains. The water from this damn supplies water to the city of San Francisco. How cool is that?

Ok, I realize this post is getting long, but I haven't been able to write in so long I have to get this stuff down. I like it that this blog spot is a way for you all to see what we are doing, but also way for us to keep track of some of the things we have done. There are so many little things that I am leaving out, of course, or this would be 100 pages long. But I know the memories we are building on this trip are irreplacable and something we will carry in our hearts forever and ever. I feel so lucky and blessed to get to do this with Ryan and our doggies. They are loving it! Especially the camping!

So now we are in San Francisco. Wow! What a change from being in Yosemite. Its a huge, extremely dense city. But its a beautiful city! It was amazing to be able to shower after 5 days of camping and not bathing! Also nice to eat some real prepared food. PB & J's are awesome, but they get old real fast. So does canned soup for that matter. Haha...so anways, today we rode Razor scooters all over the city, the shopping district, down by the water and tourist areas, and the business district. Then we came back and got our bikes so we could ride down by the beach and across the Golden Gate Bridge. What a cool experience that was! Its soooooo beautiful! I only have pics from my iphone....left my camera at home. But our camera wouldn't do it any justice anways. :) We are about to shower up and go walk to some food and drinks on the street right outside our hotel. More stories to come as we continue our journey up the coast on Tuesday. But tomorrow we are going to celebrate my birthday and stay here one more day!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment